January 27, 2013

Ann-Marie Murrell - Who was the “real” Walter Cronkite?

Ann-Marie Murrell

When I was growing up, the name “Walter Cronkite” meant “journalist” and “truth”.  His closing statement, “And that’s the way it is”, sort of put a period at the end of the nightly news.  If Cronkite said it, there was no need to question or talk back because that was the way it was.  Even now, I still hear people talk about the “good old days” when journalism was filled with “decent, honest” reporters and when you could trust anything your TV news broadcasters told you. If it came out of the mouths of Tom Brokaw, Dan Rather or Harry Reasoner, it had to be true, right?  Well, not so much. I also used to think I would grow up to marry Bobby Sherman, and that didn’t happen, either.  In both the nightly news and in my Tiger Beat-induced love life, that fantasy-crusher “reality” finally took hold and made me see that none of the “journalists” of my childhood were necessarily who they wanted America to believe they were.
What I now realize is that by having father figure types like Cronkite say, “And that’s the way it is”, it was a brilliant way to mass hypnotize America.  What better way to infiltrate the American family than via those esteemed television news anchors?...

No comments:

Post a Comment