Grocery stores operate on a 2% margin. The coupon face value is initially redeemed from the supplier. However, Kroger may double the face value of coupons and that would definitely amount to a loss for them on each item. I can see limiting the number of coupons to be redeemed to one per product and possibly a total number of coupons to be redeemed.
That said, if Kroger does not have that policy already published, then they may very well be obligated to honor all coupons submitted by shoppers.
I certainly don't fault the shopper in question from trying to use coupons as she understands the current Kroger coupon policy.
If the shopper was using food stamps to pay off the balance due, that should have no practical effect. She indicated that she had a family of 10 to feed and I can understand her plight. If Kroger doesn't like its own policy, then they should change it. I just don't see the occasional coupon shopper as being a real financial detriment to Kroger.
Hey, when I was single I used shopping coupons. Of course I did this just as much to spend additional time with the cute blonde checker, as I did to save money. It didn't get me anywhere, but I did save a few bucks along the way.
Grocery stores operate on a 2% margin. The coupon face value is initially redeemed from the supplier. However, Kroger may double the face value of coupons and that would definitely amount to a loss for them on each item. I can see limiting the number of coupons to be redeemed to one per product and possibly a total number of coupons to be redeemed.
ReplyDeleteThat said, if Kroger does not have that policy already published, then they may very well be obligated to honor all coupons submitted by shoppers.
I certainly don't fault the shopper in question from trying to use coupons as she understands the current Kroger coupon policy.
If the shopper was using food stamps to pay off the balance due, that should have no practical effect. She indicated that she had a family of 10 to feed and I can understand her plight. If Kroger doesn't like its own policy, then they should change it. I just don't see the occasional coupon shopper as being a real financial detriment to Kroger.
Rob,
ReplyDeleteSo you're saying the First Step consists of admitting you have a coupon problem?
Hey, when I was single I used shopping coupons. Of course I did this just as much to spend additional time with the cute blonde checker, as I did to save money. It didn't get me anywhere, but I did save a few bucks along the way.
ReplyDelete