September 21, 2013

Smartphone Blackberry is Seeing Raspberries

By Elizabeth Nelson

As everyone is rushing to the store, to buy the latest Apple IPhone 5, even as the rumors of the IPhone6 release date is being leaked, we are hearing that the smartphone maker Blackberry is in trouble and about to lay off 4,500 employees, in an attempt to keep from having to sell itself, like it sells its phones.

The global manufacturer of smartphones, BlackBerry, has announced that it is due to cut 4,500 jobs and will note an inventory write-down of up to $960 million, following disappointing sales figures for a number of recent product launches. In light of the latest spate of commercial failures, one cannot help but think BlackBerry may be in trouble.




Sadly, this is just another sign of our times; anemic economic growth and our “leader’s” failed Obamanomics.  We’re told to accept the cold hard facts, that he’s “here to stay,” and he’s our “hope and change.” 

Well, I guess we now see what Blackberry’s once viable and prosperous Hopes have Changed into.


3 comments:

  1. Many years ago a friend of mine got a Blackberry phone. I was green. I wanted one and began to price them out. Even the price was way before its time, and being cheap and stingy, I caved to a black, flip Samsung with a two-year AT&T contract. I still have the phone. The contract has expired ages ago and every couple of months I get letters offering more and newer AT&T stuff with new two-year contracts. I found out I could do without the Blackberry.
    It must difficult to be immersed in that tech field, which is constantly changing and has such an intense impact on their bottom line. Well, actually, it IS the bottom line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL You and I must have started out with the same Samsung flip phone, and I too, still have that flip, but I have since upgraded; I text (and respond to blogs now) way too much. lol I had friends, bosses and coworkers that had some blackberries, but I never wanted to switch plans.

    You make a valid point, we live in a time where society is held hostage to their technology, like little techno junkies, needing the next fix, and the companies are struggling to keep giving us the bigger, better and faster product.
    It's sad when people can't even sit down in a restaurant, for an hour, without pulling out their cellphone to check their twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, don't get me started on the restaurant mores. I had a good friend ...... and so it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete