The wifey and I attended Hal Holbrook's one man show, "Mark Twain" Saturday night. It was sold out , deservedly so. Holbrook was superb. The first hour was filled with a heavy dose of politics and religion. There was a brief intermission. Then another hour of Holbrook ambling about the stage as Twain, decrying the sad state of journalism, more politics, and more religion. He included a recitation from Twain's work, "Huckleberry Finn." The audience laughed constantly (myself included) and applauded frequently throughout the evening.
Holbrook owned the material, the stage, and the audience. Once again, deservedly so.
The show is set in the year 1905. Twain's material is just as relavent now as it was then. I really can't say enough about Mr Holbrook's performance. I'll sum it up in one word. Mesmerising.
Thank you Hal Holbrook.
Thanks. You had me wondering.
ReplyDeleteMy limited literary skills did not do justice to Holbrook's, "Twain."
ReplyDeleteI can only add, if he comes to your town, run, don't walk to buy a ticket.
I've seen video clips of Mr.Holbrook's performance and the term "reincarnation" comes to mind. His look, mannerisms, topical content and delivery are, by all accounts, Mark Twain personified.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see that you have expanded your social horizon beyond a poker table. I am quite sure your wife is too.
Rob,
ReplyDeleteHow dare you allude to my nonculturalibiliytyisming! I resent that sir!
I obviously stand corrected with your explanation. Is that related to supercalifragilistic or antidisestabmentarianism? I understand they are both contagious and cognitively dissonant.
ReplyDelete