March 10, 2014

Senate Pay Raises - A Brief History

I used the year Joe Biden entered the Senate as a freshman Senator (1973) as a beginning in order to chart Senate salaries and the number of times the august body of meaningless blab has unilaterally voted themselves pay raises.

I say unilaterally because naturally the House of Reps agreed to the raises since they also voted themselves raises in the same years.

It appears pay raises are the one thing CONgress takes a bipartisan approach to.

A few things in the source chart made total accuracy impossible to ascertain. Such as the month of year the senate would vote themselves raises and beginning of fiscal year.

But the numbers are close enough for government work.

Unfortunately the source chart I used ends with the year 2008.

No matter, that was Joe's last year in the Seanate before stumbling into the Vice Presidency.

I'm disheartened enough by the following numbers that I am not going to delve into his current salary and perks.

Any volunteers to total up the amount of money Joe Biden has collected in his  +40 years at the public teat?

1973 - 1975 - $42,500 per year

1976            -  $44,600

1977 - 1979 - $57,500 per year

1980 - 1982 - $60,662.50 per year

1983            - $69,800

1984            - $72,600

1985 - 1986 - $75,100 per year

1987 - 1989 - $89,500 per year

1990             - $98,400

1991              - $101,900

1992              - $129,500

1993 - 1997   - $133,600 per year

1998 - 1999    - $136,700 per year

2000               - $141,300

2001               - $145,100

2002               - $150,00

2003               - $154,700

2004               - $158,100

2005               - $162,100  

2006  - 2007   - $165,200 per year

2008               - $169,300






No comments:

Post a Comment