September 28, 2012

Joe Biden: Gridiron Great

By Correctamundo   


Old Joe is back in the news, this time fibbing about his college football days as a star athlete:

During a speech at Ohio University in Athens, OH on September 8, Vice President Joe Biden led his audience to believe he had been a college football player for his alma mater -- Delaware University -- and had played against Ohio University in a 1963 football game.

His words contradicted his own memoir, in which he wrote he gave up playing football while at Delaware, and Internet records of past Delaware football team rosters, on which he is not listed.


But does that stop Joe? Heck no! Joe has a selective memory - what the medical field calls 'Dementia'.

In his September 8 speech, Biden, to set up a story about how he was almost arrested on Ohio University’s campus in 1963, said he came to Ohio University then because “my football team, the University of Delaware, came to avenge a loss” from 1961.

“I came ... I was a football player ... I came here in 1963 ... and we beat you Bobcats, 29-12,” Biden said.


Ahhh, the key word here is 'was' - I 'was' a football player. But Joe doubles down.

Biden said he “went back in the Internet and I just want you to know I came here on October 19, 1963 and we beat you Bobcats 29-12." Internet records do show that Delaware did play and defeat Ohio on October 19, 1963.

He told the audience he was happy when Ohio University defeated Penn State in the first week of the 2012 college football season because “now I got bragging rights. Y’all beat Penn State, I can say, ‘Well, they beat Penn State and 500 years ago we beat them once.’”

The problem is, the story is not quite true -- by Biden's own admission -- and is another example of Biden’s exaggerations or embellishments.


Our first clue that something is amiss is when he says he '...went back in the Internet...' to figure out where he was. And he obviously doesn't even remember a book he wrote where he discusses this very subject and how he DIDN'T play:

In his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics, which was released on August 25, 2008, Biden, on page 26 of the book, writes: “When my first semester grades came out, my mom and dad told me I wouldn’t be playing football."

Biden wrote he “realized that if I played football, my weekends were taken” and he wouldn’t see “much of Neilia (his first wife) in September, October, November ... into December if we made the playoffs":

I called the coach a few weeks before preseason started. “Coach, I’m not coming.”

“Who is this?”

"It’s Joe Biden, Coach. I’m not going to play this season.”

“Biden!? You realize you’ve got a shot to play this year?”

“I know, Coach, but I’m not coming. I'm not playing.... See, I met this girl, and she’s at Syracuse--”

Bzzzzzzzzzz was all I could hear. He’d hung up.


I'd hang up on you, too. In fact, most of us don't listen to a word you say because it's either plagiarized or you're talking about the great state of XX when you're not even in that state.

In the University of Delaware’s online news service, UDaily, Biden wrote this in which he is the sole source (so take it with a grain of salt):

Joe Biden once said he came to the University of Delaware in 1961 as a “half-baked halfback,” playing on the freshman football team that year under the late Scotty Duncan, and the Democratic vice presidential candidate remains a big fan of the Fightin' Blue Hens.

But even this account is doubtful because on page 162 in the sports section of Delaware University’s 1961 yearbook, Biden is not listed on the freshman football team’s roster.


For a Fightin' Blue Hen, he sure is 'cocksure'. The moral of the story is: Joe Biden is qualified for one thing - writing fiction books. And even that would be suspect.





No comments:

Post a Comment