By Elizabeth
Nelson
Rebecca Steinitz, a
literacy consultant in urban high schools, a writer and an editor, who also has a PhD, allowed her daughter, who was known to
" do well in school and test high," to be a Common Core experiment,
and she was unpleasantly shocked by her daughters test scores. However, instead
of just instantly blaming the curriculum she did something interesting, and
then she wrote a letter to Obama about her experience and his
"wonderful" Core program, a curriculum she once whole-hardheartedly supported.
A curriculum, I might add, that is supposed to "prepare our children for
college and their future."
According to the letter, these were the
feelings that pulsed through her daughter, as she took the test:
“These are such weird questions.”
“This test is crazy.”
“This is a stupid, impossible test.”
Steinitz wondered if her daughter might be
being melodramatic, but instead of just instantly blaming the curriculum or blindly
taking her daughter's side, she decided to take the test herself, and after
doing that she wrote a letter to Obama about his "wonderful" Core
program that is supposed to "prepare our children for college and their
future."
Here is what she said in regard to the matter:
“I have a Ph.D. in English, I’ve been in college
and high school classrooms for over 20 years, and for much of that time I’ve
trained and coached high school English teachers. I was shocked that the ninth
grade test included an excerpt from Bleak House, a Dickens novel that is
usually taught in college. I got seven out of 36 multiple choice questions
wrong on the eleventh grade test. And I had no idea what to do with this essay
prompt on the third grade test.”
If a woman with a PhD in English can't understand
this test or take it and is reacting like this to just the “grade school” English
tests, why did the states adopt them or even now retain them, now that that
they "know what's in it" – without conversation and consultation with
the parents ahead of time? The moral of this story, because there is a moral to every story, while Obama bows down to Japan's teaching their children computer programming, he supports our dummying down our children with the Common Core curriculum.
No comments:
Post a Comment